It was 7 minutes after midnight. The dog was lying on the grass in the middle of the lawn in front of Mrs. Sears’s house. Its eyes were closed. It looked as if it was running on its side, the way dogs run when they think they are chasing a cat in a dream. But the dog was not running or asleep. The dog was dead.
Mark Haddon
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
2002
I really, really loved this book. I was taken in by the cover, by the title, by the prose, and by the story. I was immediately enchanted by the uncluttered, staccato sentences and the no-nonsense imagery. “The dog was dead.” Indeed. Who could argue? Haddon’s prose is courageous and his story compelling. The narrator is a 15 year-old boy who happens to be autistic. It is, in my opinion, a truly original story.
No comments:
Post a Comment