Monday, August 16, 2010

If on a winter's night a traveler


You are about to begin reading Italo Calvino’s new novel, If on a winter’s night a traveler. Relax. Concentrate. Dispel every other thought. Let the world around you fade. Best to close the door; the TV is always on in the next room. Tell the others right away, “No, I don’t want to watch TV!” Raise your voice – they won’t hear you otherwise – “I’m reading! I don’t want to be disturbed!” Maybe they haven’t heard you, with all that racket; speak louder, yell: “I’m beginning to read Italo Calvino’s new novel!” Or if you prefer, don’t say anything; just hope they’ll leave you alone.

Italo Calvino
If on a winter’s night a traveler
1981

This opening line made me laugh in the bookstore. Anyone who reads a lot will recognize the feeling of exasperation in the narrator’s voice. Doesn’t everyone realize how important the reading of this book is? Why doesn’t everyone just go away so this very, very important thing can be accomplished in peace? Ssshh! But normally one does not say these things out loud. This is definitely a case of "it's funny because it's true". Beyond this, and much more importantly, the book is complex and brilliant and the chapter titles create a poem that touches the soul of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment